The main focus of NOSHAN is to investigate the process and technologies needed to use food waste for feed production at low cost, low energy consumption and with maximal valorisation of starting wastes materials. Nutritional value and functionality according to animal needs as well as safety and quality issues will be investigated and address as main leading factors for the feed production using food derived products (fruit/plant/dairy). According to this not only wastes will be characterized for their nutritional potential, but suitable technologies to stabilize them and convert them into suitable raw materials for bulk feed will be researched.
Two different groups of activities will be thus addressed:
- From one side, replacement of bulk feed ingredients (constituting up to 90-95% of feed weight) will be studied from the starting waste materials. These bulk materials could cope part of the huge amounts of food waste generated in Europe.
- From the other side, the valorisation of active ingredients as well as the upgrade of waste into more valuable feed additives will be studied. The later constitute approximately the half of the feed cost.
The main expected result of NOSHAN project is the creation of a broad portfolio of valorised wastes for feed production. In this sense, a selection of wastes according to their potential nutritional properties, quantities produced, seasonality, possibility of stabilisation, safety and regulatory issues, cost and logistics will be performed during the first phase of the project.. In order to improve nutritional content of feed and be able to fulfil animal needs, waste will be treated alone or mixed with other waste looking for complementation and synergistic effects. The characterisation at molecular level of the different waste streams will allow providing the best technology for the best raw material to obtain the desired nutritional/functional properties.
In NOSHAN a variety of high-advanced technologies for conditioning, stabilising by physico-chemical and biological strategies, extracting high-added value compounds and feed production will be tested, developed and integrated in an innovative low-cost and low energy tailor made procedure for valorising food waste for production of safety and compound functional feed. All these initiatives will be validated in in vitro and in vivo tests to the final animal derived products intended for human consumption. Therefore a whole value chain from starting raw materials to exploitable products and technologies will be covered and monitored with a LCA with a further validation using the novel ETV platform.
PROJECT GOALS:NOSHAN main scientific and technical objective is to enable the use of food waste for functional and safe feed production at low cost, low energy consumption and with maximal valorisation of starting materials.
NOSHAN main objectives include both the use of food wastes (fruit / vegetable / plant and dairy) for bulk feed production and for obtaining functional ingredients and bioactives.
Specific scientific and technological objectives:
• Create a broad portfolio of valorised wastes for feed production according to their potential nutritional properties, quantities produced, seasonality, possibility of stabilisation, safety and regulatory issues, cost and logistics.
• Characterize at a molecular level the different waste streams to provide the best technology for the best raw material to obtain the desired nutritional/functional properties.
• Develop high-advanced technologies for conditioning, stabilising seasonal wastes by physico-chemical and biological strategies, extracting high-added value compounds and feed production
• Integrate the developed technologies in an innovative low-cost and low energy tailor made procedure for valorising food waste for production of safety and compound functional feed.
• To demonstrate the feasibility of the procedures at pre-industrial level by scaling-up the most efficient technologies
• Validate the functionality of feed additives and compound feeds in in vitro and in vivo tests to the final animal derived products intended for human consumption.
• To validate the sustainability of the NOSHAN processes and products through the whole value chain, using Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) and Environmental Technology Verification (ETV) tools.
• NOSHAN will lead to new process/processes for the correct conditioning and stabilization of different food wastes (fruit / vegetable / dairy / plant) with a single technology or combination of them with minimal energy and material inputs.
• NOSHAN will investigate a full process from the conditioning to the production of feed utilizing wastes as co-streams and additives, when required, derived from food wastes that is technical and economically viable and with the maximal sustainability.
• NOSHAN will develop a process for feed production from food waste based on a complete characterization of starting and processed materials that can lead not only the selection of different waste streams but also adapt them to the requirements of target animals (pigs and poultry). This will be expanded via a molecular characterization of bioactives leading to desired functionalities for animals.
This innovation is the result of the project
Title: Sustainable Production of Functional and Safe Feed from Food Waste
Organisations and people involved in this eco-innovation.
Please click on an entry to view all contact details.